First Team Match Reports

Hartlepool United v Solihull Moors

1 - 1 (4-3 on pens) Nov 15th 2022 at 19:45

Match Report

Hartlepool United v Solihull Moors
Hartlepool United v Solihull Moors

Solihull Moors exited the FA Cup to Hartlepool United on Tuesday evening after a 1-1 draw was settled by penalties, in which the hosts won 4-3.

It was a night of missed chances for Neal Ardley's side who dominated large parts of the game and had multiple opportunities to seal the victory with the score at 1-0 in their favour.

However, with 89 minutes on clock, Reghan Tumilty popped up with a goal to send the tie into extra-time.

After an eventful period of extra-time, that failed to yield a goal, the hosts ran out 4-3 winners on penalties after Moors missed their opening two.

Team News

There was another five changes as Ardley's side faced yet another long midweek away fixture.

As expected, Louie Moulden replaced Ryan Boot in goal, as well as a less anticipated change in the back line, with Alex Gudger making way for Joey Jones.

Moors were also handed a boost on the injury front as Andrew Dallas and Jamey Osborne returned after spells on the side-line. Josh Kelly dropped to the bench for Callum Whelan in Moors' only other alteration from the side that lost to Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday.

The Match

It was the dream start for Moors, who after a period of domination opened the scoring in the ninth minute through Ryan Barnett.

Moors recycled possession on the edge of the area and found Barnett free on the right, he drove into the area and rather like his Twitter goal gif, arrowed his strike into the bottom left corner.

Moors continued to control proceedings and saw a Jones header sail just wide of Ben Killip's upright with 14 minutes gone.

It was five minutes later that Moors next major chance came, a lovely Osborne chipped ball over the top caught the Pools' defence off guard and had Joe Sbarra's touch been better he'd have been racing clean through on goal in a two-on-one with Dallas for support.

The hosts looked flat and struggled to progress up the pitch, their first strike on goal was in the 24th minute when Wes McDonald's effort bobbled just infront of Moulden who did enough to deny the Pools' midfielder.

As time ticked on the home support become increasingly restless, with serveral boos ringing out at various points in the half. However, it could have been worse just before the break when Ben Coker's half volley stung the palms of Killip whose parry almost dropped at the feet of Kyle Storer six yards out - in the end, Pools cleared their lines.

Half-time: Hartlepool United 0-1 Solihull Moors

After a dominant first half, Moors picked up where they left off. With 49 gone, Dallas flicked a lovely ball behind the Hartlepool defence to set Sbarra free, he in-turn found Whelan free at the far post, but Killip stood firm to make a crucial save.

Just minutes later Moors went close again, this time Dallas himself latched onto a Barnett pass and fired a shot towards the near post but Killip had it covered.

The home side's main threat appeared to be aerially; substitute Joe Grey should have done far better with a mistimed header from six yards out in the 53rd minute.

Moments later, a blow for Moors, as Osborne was forced off the pitch through injury. He did, however, walk off and didn't seem too concerned.

Ardley's side continued to look dangerous every time they went forward and could only have their final pass to blame for not being further in-front. That until, a five-minute spell in which Killip simply couldn't be beaten.

After substitute Kelly dragged a shot inches wide, Dallas had a thunderous effort destined for the top corner, before a big hand from the Pools' shot-stopper denied him.

Then, the pick of the bunch. With Sbarra bearing down on goal one-on-one, Killip used incredible instinct to pull off a diving stop and keep the score at just one.

With time ticking down, the tide began to turn, and the hosts began piling on some pressure. Moulden had to use the full extent of his reflexes to deny a looping Pools' header and turn it over the bar.

Eventually Moors were made to rue their missed chances. With 89 minutes on the clock, McDonald's low ball was turned home into the bottom left corner by Tumilty to spark jubilant celebrations from the home support.

In what had turned into a dramatic cup tie, there was still time for Moors to have another chance to win it before extra-time. Alex Reid was set free in the area and after initially putting one defender on his backside, his shot from inside the area was again denied by Killip to force an extra half an hour.

Full-time: Hartlepool United 1-1 Solihull Moors

Into the extra-time period it was Hartlepool who began the brighter, David Ferguson received a pass into the area but blazed his fierce strike over the bar.

The game was still end-to-end, and Reid was next to have a chance, he went through one-on-one and rounded Killip but his touch was just too heavy to get on the end of.

Coker who was a threat all night from left-back also went close, he arrived onto an Ethan Vaughan cross, and his diving header was turned over the bar by Killip again.

The teams swapped sides in the 105th minute and had a short moment to catch their breath, and it was Pools had the ball in the back of the net moments later when Theo Robinson converted from 10 yards, but his celebration was short lived after he was flagged for being marginally offside.

The hosts should have rippled the net only a few minutes later, Clarke Odour went on a slaloming run and when space opened up, let fly from the edge of the area, but Moulden did brilliantly to anticipate the strike and prevent a certain goal.

There was one further key chance before penalties, when Kelly raced away in the 116th minute and looked destined to send the travelling support into ecstasy. He got in down the right-hand side and was faced one-on-one with Killip, however, this time the 'keeper wasn't required as Kelly dragged his shot inches wide.

Full-time in extra-time: Hartlepool United 1-1 Solihull Moors

Moors were to kick first in the shoot-out, and it was captain Kyle Storer who kicked us off. However, he slipped as he went to strike and Moors were immediately on the backfoot as his shot spooned into the stands.

After the hosts converted their first, Kelly was up next, but his penalty was tame and saved leaving Moors with a mountain to climb.

Despite Pools missing their next spot-kick, there was no way back for Ardley's side. Coker, Jones and Reid all converted but Hartlepool didn't miss and when Joe Grey slotted home the 10th and final penalty, Moors' fate was sealed, and our 2022/23 FA Cup campaign ended in the North East.

Full-time: Hartlepool United 1-1 Solihull Moors (4-3 on pens)

Solihull Moors: Moulden (GK), Clarke, Jones, Kelleher, Coker, Storer (c), Osborne (Maycock 54), Whelan (Kelly 67), Barnett (Vaughan 98), Sbarra (Parsons 98), Dallas (Reid 88).

Subs not used: Boot, Gudger, Wood.

Attendance: 2170 (110 away - who never stopped singing!).

Click a to expand () the menu