First Team Match Reports

Solihull Moors v FC Halifax Town

0 - 1 Nov 8th 2022 at 19:45

Match Report

Solihull Moors v FC Halifax Town
Solihull Moors v FC Halifax Town

Solihull Moors fell to a first home defeat in 2022 with a 1-0 loss to FC Halifax.

Jamie Cooke's first half strike was enough to send Chris Millington's side home with maximum points.

It proved to be a pretty drab contest throughout with neither side finding their feet in tricky conditions.

Halifax, however, managed to cope the better of the two sides and defended well to see the job through.

Team News

Neal Ardley made another four changes to Saturday's team that earned a draw against League Two Hartlepool in a bruising affair.

Ryan Barnett, Kyle Storer and Ben Coker were the outfield players to drop to the bench after all playing the full 90 against Pools'.

Again Ardley chose to rotate his goalkeepers with Louie Moulden returning to the side.

The Match

Moors began in the ascendancy forcing a few corners in the early stages. Fiacre Kelleher aimed a header towards goal inside three minutes but it failed to threaten Sam Johnson's goal.

Ethan Vaughan was looking the most likely early on from an unfamiliar left-back role, he had a drilled effort that deflected wide, as well as a pin-point cross that should have been met by Alex Reid moments later.

However, that was as good as it got for Moors in a first 45 that lacked conviction.

It was Halifax who began looking the more composed on the ball and they got their reward in the 35th minute. Angelo Cappelo's cross was punched by Louie Moulden, but only into the chest of Cooke who pounced on the loose ball to tap home into an empty net.

Half-time: Solihull Moors 0-1 FC Halifax

Ardley clearly had some strong words to say at half-time and made a double change bringing Barnett and Coker into the action.

His team-talk almost had the desired effect on the 48th minute. Coker's cross evaded everybody and fell to an unmarked Callum Maycock in the area but he saw the ball late and miscued his shot on goal.

Moments later it was Cooke who had another go for the visitors, after the ball broke to him on the left he shaped up for a curling effort and forced Moulden into a diving stop.

Despite astrong opening to the half, the game quickly fell back into the same pattern with Moors looking tired and struggling to create.

That's how it remained and it took until the 93rd minute for another chance to arrive, but as they did all evening, the Halifax defence stood firm and blocked Moors' efforts.

A frustrating night for Ardley's side and one to put behind them.

Full-time: Solihull Moors 0-1 FC Halifax

Solihull Moors: Moulden (GK), Clarke, Gudger (c), Sbarra, Maycock, Dallas, Kelly (Barnett 46), Kelleher, Vaughan (Coker 46), Reid, Whelan (Storer 58).

Subs not used: Parsons, Jones.

Attendance: 1163 (67 away).

Click a to expand () the menu