Joe Sbarra’s fifth goal of the season secured Solihull Moors all three points at Aldershot Town on Saturday afternoon.

The midfielder received a pass from the unselfish Andrew Dallas to slot home two minutes from time, as Neal Ardley’s side picked up a first victory of the campaign.

It was a tight encounter at the EBB Stadium in a game where the Shots took the lead through Giles Phillips, before Lois Maynard equalised on the stroke of half time.

Team News

The Moors made four changes to the side that started last Saturday’s defeat to Weymouth. Most notably, goalkeeper Ryan Boot returned in between the sticks following a knee injury.

Jordan Cranston, Alex Gudger and Lois Maynard also came into the starting line-up, with Harry Boyes, Matt Preston and Kyle Hudlin making way.

Adam Rooney was fit enough to take his place on the substitutes bench.

The Match

It was the visitors who started the brighter of the two sides, as Jordan Cranston’s free-kick was met by the head of Callum Howe who was flagged offside, although the ball dropped over the top of the bar.

Andrew Dallas then pounced on a miskick but, with the angle against him, could only bend an effort wide of the mark.

On his return to the team, Ryan Boot was tested by Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain’s powerful drive as the ‘keeper batted the ball away from danger.

Danny Searle’s side took the lead on 26 minutes, Giles Phillips the man getting on the end of Lewis Kinsella’s corner to powerfully head home the opener at the front post.

The Shots had their tails up and were the better side up until late in the half.

Moors were eyeing a response, and they almost got it through Dallas. The striker used his pace to get away from his marker and drilled a low effort, but Mitch Walker was able to get down to hold.

Then, on the stroke of half-time, Solihull found a leveller as Kyle Storer picked out Lois Maynard, who was free in the penalty area. The on-loan Stockport County man made no mistake, connecting with the ball right on his forehead and directing into the bottom corner.

Half-time: Aldershot Town 1-1 Solihull Moors

Moors made a tactical change at the interval, with Danny Newton replacing goal scorer Maynard as Ardley increased his attacking options on the pitch.

The front two almost combined immediately as Newton broke down the right and had Dallas for company in the centre, however the pass lacked power and the chance was gone.

Cranston was next to break, this time down the left, and just as he released the ball for the waiting Joe Sbarra, the Shots were able to get back and defend well. From the resulting corner, Alex Gudger rose highest but could only head wide of the mark.

The game hit a bit of a lull midway through the second half, with both sides struggling to gain any momentum.

It wasn’t until the 79th minute where Moors were able to carve out another big opening. This time Callum Maycock got to the byline following a driving run and picked out Sbarra who hit the target, but also found the gloves of Walker.

Moors’ number seven is a man in red-hot form and with four goals already to his name this season, will always carry a threat right until the final whistle.

And with two minutes of normal time to play, a fortunate ricochet on the halfway line placed the ball into the path of Dallas.

He had a clear run on goal and time to pick a spot – however, he also had Sbarra screaming at him to his left. Dallas released the ball at the perfect time to give Sbarra a simple tap in, which gave Moors all three points and victory on the road.

Full-time: Aldershot Town 1-2 Solihull Moors

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK), Williams (Preston 58), Cranston, Storer ©, Howe, Gudger, Sbarra, Maycock, Barnett (Donawa 74), Dallas, Maynard (Newton 46).

Subs not used: Rooney, Boyes.

Attendance: 1,354 (79 Moors fans)

Image by Richard King