Danny Newton came off the bench to score the winner for the second game running, this time securing Moors’ progression in the Emirates FA Cup at Hereford.

The striker was quick to react after Jordan Wright had parried Joe Sbarra’s low drive, leaving Newton to do the honours in the fourth qualifying round tie at Edgar Street.

Team News

Neal Ardley made four changes to the side that beat King’s Lynn Town last weekend.

Tyrone Williams, Kyle Storer, Jamey Osborne and Kyle Hudlin all came into the starting eleven.

Andrew Dallas (sore ribs) wasn’t risked, so was left out of the squad for a well-earned weekend off.

The Match

There was cup fever all around Edgar Street, and Moors knew their National League North opponents were going to be right up for the challenge.

Early on, Jordan Cranston’s corner kick was met by the head of Callum Howe who saw his effort blocked and out for a corner. James Ball got on the end of the next one with a neat flick, but the home side were able to clear.

Josh Gowling’s side then broke from a Moors corner as Williams misjudged the flight of the ball, leaving Ollie Hulbert one-on-one with Storer. However, the Moors skipper thwarted the attack with a fantastic sliding challenge and came away with the ball in the process.

A big chance for the Bulls came and went as Miles Storey got away down the right-hand side and, with the flag staying down, unleashed a strike that cleared the crossbar.

Some good work on the Moors right from Osborne saw the midfielder cut back onto his left foot and swing a cross that was met by Howe in the box, but Wright was able to collect.

Out of nowhere a slip by Levi Andoh, who was under no pressure, allowed Rooney in to capitalise. He cut the ball back for Ball who struck low with his left foot, only to see Wright save with his legs. Hudlin followed up with an effort that comfortably went past the post.

Callum Maycock stung the fingertips of Wright who showed good reflexes to tip over the top, before Rooney headed against the outside of the post from the resulting corner.

Half-time: Hereford 0-1 Solihull Moors

Moors made a double change at the interval, with Sbarra and Ryan Barnett replacing Osborne and Ball.

And Barnett was immediately involved with a run and cross from the right that was met by Hudlin, who saw a header deflected over the top.

With almost an hour on the clock, the visitors had Ryan Boot to thank for keeping the score at 0-0. The goalkeeper pulled off a diving fingertip save to deny Harry Pinchard who struck a curling effort from 25 yards out.

Moors’ final change saw Newton given the final 20-odd minutes, hoping to repeat his late goalscoring antics at King’s Lynn last weekend.

Rooney might have felt that his first goal of the season ought to have arrived as Sbarra broke the offside trap and cut back for the Irishman who fired over the top.

Then came the breakthrough. With 12 minutes remaining, a corner kick was kept alive inside the area and Sbarra powered a low drive that was too hot to handle for Wright, and there was Newton to gobble up the rebound from a few yards out.

Full-time: Hereford 0-1 Solihull Moors

The draw for the first-round proper takes place on Sunday 17th October, live on ITV from 1pm. Moors are ball number 53, with League One and League Two clubs entering the competition at this stage.

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK), Williams, Cranston, Storer ©, Howe, Gudger, Maycock, Rooney, Osborne (Sbarra 46), Ball (Barnett 46), Hudlin (Newton 69).

Subs not used: Boyes, Donawa, Allsopp, Maynard.

Attendance: 1,783

Image by Richard King