The Moors make it to the semi-finals of the Vanarama National League playoffs, with four different scorers in a terrific 4-2 win against FC Halifax Town

Team news

Ahead of the eliminator against FC Halifax Town, Andy Whing made one change from the 1-0 win against York City with Joe Sbarra coming into the starting line-up ahead of Nana Boateng who drops to the bench.

Also, on the bench saw the return of Mark Beck, alongside Kyle Morrison and Jon Benton.

Match report

Solihull Moors have made it into the semi-finals of the playoffs in Andy Whing’s first season in charge, with a 4-2 win over FC Halifax Town at the ARMCO Arena.

The match began with the away side getting the first shot of the game after receiving the ball on the left-hand side and striking with his right foot, however it was straight at Nick Hayes in the Solihull goal.

In the sixth minute, Solihull had their first sight of goal after Jack Stevens played the ball into Joe Sbarra who was driving at the Halifax defenders. Sbarra cut inside on his right and curled an effort just wide of the goal.

On 15 minutes, the Moors took the lead after some great play on the left-hand side led to Stevens curling a shot towards the far corner and was well saved by Sam Johnson in the Halifax goal. The ball though was not cleared far enough, with Tahvon Campbell receiving the ball and firing the ball into the corner to make it 1-0.

Two minutes later, the hosts thought they had a second when Stevens was played in behind the defence and tried to shoot towards the corner, but Johnson made a strong save to deny him. The ball rebounded into Stevens and looked certain to score but could only hit the ball just wide of the post.

19 minutes in though, the Moors did find their second after Tyrese Shade dribbled past his marker with pace and power before crossing the ball into Campbell, who was in the middle of the box. Campbell’s shot was goal bound, but Stevens made sure as he doubled the lead.

On the half an hour mark, Halifax responded better with Oluwabori trying his luck from 25 yards out with Callum Maycock putting in a good block. From the following corner, Jack Evans volleyed the ball from outside the box with Alex Whitmore in the right place to clear the shot away.

After 38 minutes, the Moors had a third in fortunate circumstances with Tylor Golden scoring an own goal. A counterattack led to Stevens driving down the left-hand side and clipping the ball up for Sbarra at the far-post, who nodded the ball down for Campbell. Campbell’s first-time shot may have been going wide, but the deflection off of Golden sent the keeper the wrong way as the lead was increased to three.

Two minutes later, the hosts broke on the counter with Stevens again looking dangerous. He dribbled down the wing before striking towards goal, but the ball was straight at Johnson.

In the first minute of added time, Halifax cut the deficit from a corner with Jack Evans heading from five yards out after a perfect cross from the left-hand side to ruin the Moors’ clean sheet.

The second half began with the away side looking to capitalise on their goal before half time but failing to test Hayes in the Solihull goal.

On the hour mark, Jamey Osborne was fouled 20 yards from goal within shooting range. He took the responsibility himself and whipped the ball around the wall but hit the side netting.

A minute later Osborne again had a shot towards goal as he shifted the ball onto his left, but his shot from 30 yards went over the bar.

On 73 minutes, substitute Florent Hoti scored a goal from 35 yards as he picked the ball up and struck towards goal. The ball dipped and went into the goal off the crossbar to make it 3-2.

Two minutes later, Jay Benn found himself in a great position to cross from the right-hand side and sent in a low powerful cross. The ball took a deflection off a Halifax defender but went just wide of the goal.

Despite the away side trying to find that equaliser, it was the Moors who scored the next goal in the game with Osborne scoring the goal of the game. He picked the ball up from 25 yards and beat two defenders before rifling an effort towards the near post. His powerful strike was too much for Johnson to keep out as the Moors’ two goal lead returned.

Halifax threw everything forward in stoppage time, but the Moors held onto a brilliant win.

The playoffs in the National League continues, as we travel to The Hive to play Barnet in the semi-final on Saturday 27th April.

Moors starting XI: Hayes, Benn, Clarke, Whitmore, Newton, Osborne ©, Maycock, Stevens, Sbarra, Shade, Campbell

Subs: Morrison, Beck, Benton (Sbarra 81), Labadie (Stevens 76), Boateng

Halifax starting XI: Johnson ©, Golden, Senior, Stott, Evans, Summerfield, Thompson-Sommers, Oluwabori, Wright, George, Cooke

Subs: Hoti (Wright 61), Jenkins, Hunter, Cosgrave (Oluwabori 81), Harker (George 46)

Attendance: 1,875