Moors struck two late goals at Torquay United to record back-to-back victories in the Vanarama National League on Tuesday evening.

Substitute Kyle Hudlin found the back of the net with five minutes left to play, scoring a sensational back heel after being teed up by James Clarke.

Andrew Dallas made the points safe in the final minute of added time with his ninth goal in just three games, as the Scot celebrated Burns Night in style.

Team News

The Moors made three changes to the team who dispatched Dover Athletic on Saturday afternoon.

Mark Ellis made his debut in central defence after signing on loan until the end of the season from Barrow.

Danny Newton and Ryan Barnett also came into the team, with Adam Rooney and James Ball unavailable.

Meanwhile, Kyle Storer was fit enough to return to the squad and took his place on the bench.

The Match

Ryan Boot, skipper for the evening, was the first goalkeeper to be called into action, as he was alert to push away a Stephen Wearne effort.

The Gulls were forced into an early change with ex-Moors forward Danny Wright pulling up after six minutes – he was replaced by Dan Holman.

A recycled Moors corner fell to the feet of in-form Dallas who spun but couldn’t trouble Shaun MacDonald with the shot lacking power.

A decent Moors break on the halfway line saw Joe Sbarra release Dallas down the right-hand side. The Scot took his time to stand the defender up, before firing at the near post where MacDonald held well.

The home faithful thought a penalty was coming their way when Armani Little went down under pressure from Ellis, but referee Scott Tallis was having none of it.

Moors best chance of the half came on 35 minutes when Harry Boyes’ free-kick was glanced inches wide by the head of Newton who applied the touch in the centre.

At the other end, Torquay left-back Dan Martin snuck in behind the visitors’ right-hand side and fired a shot across goal and out for a goal kick.

Half-time: Torquay United 0-0 Solihull Moors

Moors were quick out the traps in the second period and almost took the lead when Sbarra capitalised on an Asa Hall mistake, racing away before seeing MacDonald in the way of a rasping effort.

Ben Wynter was left in his tracks by Dallas who sprinted away following a fantastic turn, but the defender got back in the nick of time before the striker could pull the trigger.

Once again a nuisance all game, Newton tracked his man and slid in with a sensational challenge to win the ball back, however his drive cleared the crossbar.

Gary Johnson’s side gave Moors a major scare when Lois Maynard was dispossessed in the midfield, giving the hosts a real chance to break the deadlock. Fortunately for Moors, a scuffed shot and scramble in the six-yard box was eventually cleared to safety.

With nine minutes left to play, Neal Ardley called for Hudlin and my did the big man deliver.

On 85 minutes, Boyes’ deep cross was kept alive by Clarke who cushioned it to the striker before Hudlin took it upon himself to nonchalantly back heel the ball inside the near post, much to the joy of the 60 travelling Moors fans.

The visitors had two huge chances either side of that goal. Moments before, Alex Gudger couldn’t quite sort his feet out as a bobbled effort inside the six-yard area dribbled wide.

After the goal, Dallas sprinted away after being released by Hudlin – with only MacDonald to beat, he found the legs of the goalkeeper.

However, the Scot is a man in red-hot form and he wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity when Sbarra played him in with 94 minutes on the clock. He coolly slotted past MacDonald to double Moors lead and, in the process, secure the club’s 100th victory in the Vanarama National League.

Full-time: Torquay United 0-2 Solihull Moors

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK) (c), Clarke, Gudger, Sbarra, Maycock, Barnett (Osborne 73), Boyes, Dallas, Ellis, Newton (Hudlin 81), Maynard.

Subs not used: Cranston, Storer, Myatt.

Attendance: 2,469 (60 away)

Image by Richard King