League Sponsor - Vanarama
League Sponsor - Motorama
League - National League
Sat 07
Kelty Hearts
1st Team
M Stenson (72')
Kelty Hearts 1 Solihull Moors 1 (2-4 on pens)

Kelty Hearts 1 Solihull Moors 1 (2-4 on pens)

By Luke Turner
Share via

Moors prevail in Scotland...

Solihull Moors progressed to the fourth round of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Scottish Challenge Cup after a 4-2 penalty shootout win against Kelty Hearts.

The game ended level after 90 minutes as Matt Stenson cancelled out Cameron Russell’s first-half opener at New Central Park.

The Moors had the first real sight at goal following a positive run from Jamey Osborne that ended in the ball falling to skipper Kyle Storer, but he could only fire wide from 30-yards.

Russell was the dangerman from the outset for Kelty and he ensured that Ryan Boot was alert when he hit a dipping effort that the Moors ‘keeper had to palm away.

Nathan Blissett so nearly latched onto Mitch Hancox’s expert through ball, but the ball ran through to Ben MacKenzie in the home goal.

Back down the other end and Russell got in behind Jamie Reckord on the right-hand side and went for goal from a tight angle with a shot that flew well wide.

Nathan Austin was proving hot to handle for Alex Gudger and Callum Howe as he conjured up a chance out of nothing with a turn and shot that dribbled past the post.

Barry Ferguson’s men took a deserved lead on 38 minutes when a cross into the box from Scott Linton was met at the near post by Russell who flicked his header past Boot and into the far corner.

In what was a feisty first 45 minutes, Stenson and Storer were both shown yellow cards in quick succession after strong challenges.

Half-time: Kelty Hearts 1-0 Solihull Moors

After Stenson won a free-kick in a dangerous position, Osborne took aim at goal with a strike that was deflected out for a corner. The midfielder was sure that the ball hit a Kelty hand in the box, but referee Robert Rogers said no.

Austin then looked to take advantage of a mistake by Gudger, but his ball across goal was too heavy for the men in the middle.

A great opportunity presented itself for Blissett as a cross in from Reckord found the striker, but his header was well-saved by MacKenzie.

There was a moment of confusion on the hour mark as the referee showed Darren Carter a second yellow card for a foul. However, the referee then realised that the midfielder was yet to be booked and remained on the pitch.

The Moors were much improved after the break and a Stenson cross caused danger at the near post as it was deflected just over the bar.

Tim Flowers’ side equalised with 18 minutes left on the clock. Hancox forced MacKenzie into a save from a tight angle, but there was Stenson to smash home the rebound.

In his final bit of action before being substituted, Osborne danced past a number of men before his shot was deflected as it rolled comfortably through to MacKenzie.

The two sides were unable to be separated after 90 minutes, so then came penalties.

Terry Hawkridge, Alex Nicholls, Mitch Hancox and Darren Carter all stepped up for the Moors and scored. Ryan Boot saved from Cameron Russell and Scott Linton hit the post for Kelty, as the Moors progressed 4-2 on spot-kicks.

The fourth round draw takes place on Tuesday 10th September at 12:30pm, live on the SPFL YouTube channel.

Full-time: Kelty Hearts 1-1 Solihull Moors (Solihull Moors win 4-2 on penalties)

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK), Williams, Reckord, Storer ©, Gudger, Osborne (Vaughan 86), Carter, Hancox, Blissett (Hawkridge 70), Stenson (Nicholls 77), Howe.

Subs not used: Rowley.

Attendance: 1,147

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019